So this was fun and it sort of drew me in, more than it should have done.
I don't really know where to begin, describing my process for designing this thing, it was pretty straight forward, though, once I got to it.
Firstly, it's a re-design of an earlier drone-version that I called "The Stabber" and since, that hasn't really appeared in my gallery here (it featured prominently in my scrapped pages, back when I was trying to illustrate my graphic novel, the last time, though) I'll just go ahead and tell you that it was meant to really live up to its name and it looks quite similar. Those strange "spaded" jointed prongs at the sides, double as engine parts, complete with exhaust-nozzles at the tips and they can be used to impale enemies.
I started re-designing this, when I was working on just updating the design, to use it for one of my current little projects, so you will see it put to good use, soon.
Basically, the biggest updates, are the big, rotating, toothed cylinders in its "mouth" instead of gnashing teeth that the past version, had. I also made the tail stubbier, moved the engines, added more eyes (more eyes is always good
) and I tried, beefing up its menacing appearance.
On the subject of those toothed cylinders, I didn't add individual blades like circular saw-blades, because A) I was lazy and B) it gives me the impression that these will stay sharp, even with wear and tear as they brake off unevenly so that there are always, some, sharp, nasty bits to get mangled by.
The one downside of this version, is that it looks to me, to be limited to a lower, operational ceiling and so, probably just skims along watersides and marshes, in search of prey, but hey, that is pretty menacing in and of itself and if those engines can double as hydro-jets, I don't see how it couldn't operate under water as well.
I had fun designing this and fiddling with the details, hope you guys like it too.
Watch the skies...